Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2019, 09:31 PM   #4
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Chance,
Could this be used for the A Class Vegas line up, like a beefed up 27.7 or a new double slide RUV?

Doc

Doc, that’s an excellent question, and I have no idea. My “guess” is that Ford could certainly offer an E-550 Stripped chassis (from technical standpoint) which would likely have up to 19,500 pound GVWR, but from a marketing standpoint I’m not sure how they would differentiate it from the lower GVWR options for the F-53, which start as low as 16,000 pounds GVWR (short of eliminating 16k and 18k F53 options).

I suppose that a major difference could be if the E-550 was offered with the F-550’s wide track coil spring front suspension instead of the F-53’s leaf springs. Even better would be if Ford developed a heavier duty Twin-I-Beam or other independent front suspension for an E-550. In any case, a wider front track like from F-550 should improve handling and appearance to Axis/Vegas-type motorhomes.

I’m highly biased because I like the E-Series cab dimensions and access from inside motorhome better than Ford Transit vans or F-550 Super Cs, so I think the real advantage to a possible E-550 would be for Class Cs 30+ feet long. I’m certain Ford is very aware that the trend over the last few years has been to shift from Class As to Cs, so this move (if it happens at all) may be to prevent all the overloaded 32-foot Class Cs with heavy slides.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.