Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 04:43 PM   #13
DenverTransplant

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
I currently have 200W of panels on the roof and plan on adding another 200W this spring. I also have a 120W portable panel that connects to an SAE connector on a pig tail to my solar controller. With the 400W on the roof plus the portable, that will max out my controller's capacity (a little over, but I doubt I'll ever see max panel output). The portable is a hold over from when we had a trailer, but is handy to be able to locate it in the sun if the rig is shaded.

We dry camp a fair amount of time so the solar really helps keep the batteries charged. Also my storage location doesn't have power so the solar keeps the batteries charged all winter.

The solar panels are 100W (each) Windy Nation flexible panels fixed to the roof with Eternabond tape

Solar controller is a Bogart Electronics SC-2030. This is a PWM 40 amp controller chosen mainly because it integrates with my Trimetric battery monitor.

Solar controller is mounted in the storage compartment nearest the battery compartment, but is still about 10 cable-feet away. I routed two No 8 cables down the refrigerator vent and then into the belly bay below the refrigerator. Then across the bay to the driver side storage bay. Solar panels are run in parallel due to the PWM controller and a desire to have them independent. The No. 10 panel wire connects to the No 8 trunk cable under the refrigerator vent cover.

If you use the Thor provided wiring, you probably can't support more than 200W unless you use an MPPT controller and series the panels.

Another spring plan is installation of a 1500W Windy Nation inverter in the same bay with the solar controller. I need bigger battery side wire for the inverter so I'll replace the No. 10 I'm using for the solar controller with 1/0 and tie in the solar controller output to the inverter battery terminals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	14903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4737.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	14904  

Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.