Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 07:36 PM   #1
RVMichael

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #11784
Lessons learned from camping at daughters house

Lesson #1 Amps -- Have daughter install a 30 amp plug. I had to compete with 6 Christmas outdoor blow up, each having their own motor drawing precious amps. Additionally, my other daughter had her brand new plug in hybrid-car plugged in, even though it will run on gas just fine. Non-RVer's just don't understand that amps coming from a socket have a finite quantity and one just can't plug in everything they want.

Lesson #2 Winds -- Know the winds and the potential for increasing winds near storms. There was about 30 to 35 knot winds out of the west with "pop-up" fast moving showers. Literally 5 miles after we left, a semi large bridge crossed the Manatee River over I-75. There was a shower moving toward the northeast with a breeze enhancer increasing the westerly winds to probably 50 to 60 knots. I swear we were on 2 wheels as we went over the apex of the bridge. Another spot near Tampa had what was close to a microburst and literally pushed the entire RV over 3 feet. Luckily I was in the slow land and there was a large size developed shoulder. I stopped at the next rest area about 4 miles up the road, put down my RV stabilizers and simply walked around the rest area until my hands stopped shaking. Never, never, never play with the winds in an RV!

Lesson #3 Don't always believe other RV'ers -- When heading northbound from Savannah, a fellow RV'er was packing up about 5 AM. After speaking to him, he warned me that he was late and in danger of being in the dreaded 2 lane I-75 traffic through South Carolina. Of course fearing what he said, I told the wife and we packed up and got out of there also. Not one traffic jam heading north the entire way. He said he had done it for 15 years and there was a traffic jam every year. We did see many jams heading south, but the north bound was fairly decent and we maintained 65 mph the entire way.

There's probably more lessons, but I will be putting in the 30 amp plug at my daughter's house so that I can have a cup of coffee and TV and space heater and refrigerator all on during the cold crisp DC mornings.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.