Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 09:53 PM   #16
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

congrats on your new adventure.

buying form a dealership I assume...
What to expect...Most likely they will assign a person to give you what they call a pre-delivery inspection....PDI
basically that person will walk you through the unit and explain how things work and answer questions. They will likely try to keep it quick and brief.
My advice...keep it slow. Open and close everything. Operate every switch and system to verify things work. ask any question you have. Crawl over, under, and through if you are able...
A lot of that depends on how handy you are...guessing good given your Cavalry experience...
When I did mine, I ended up taking several hours...something like 4-6 if my memory serves... I watched folks on units parked next to mine come and go doing their PDI's...several cycled through in the time I took. i showed up with tools, battery tester(although the unit was plugged in when I arrived so I couldn't find out till the next day that the house battery was nearly shot.) I tried to operate every system.. water system on city supply and on pump form tank....filled and drained the tanks to verify no leaks and function... tried to flip every switch, etc...
brought a pad of paper and kept a list. the PDI tech found several things but I found many more to list.... made a list for them to fix BEFORE I finished signing the papers.

Even still, after the deal...we took the rig to a nearby state park and loaded all the stuff out of our old popup camper and set up for the first night. That first evening I found that the attach points for the windshield curtain were missing (I didn't try it before, thought that was too basic and obvious). Also found several other little things...drawer slides or latches not aligned, loose screws and such...almost all of which were no big deal to fix myself...but my point is don't assume anything is too simple to skip.

Expect the house battery to be questionable. I figure most have at some point while on the dealer's lot or in transit have been discharged deep enough to do harm...from lights left on overnight, etc... it might hold some charge but might not hold full.

I like the advice to stay close. I'd try to stay on the dealership's lot the first night with a standing service appointment the next day to address little things you find once you move in.

I hope that doesn't scare you....I was perhaps overly thorough and in my experience was mostly all little stuff.

Most of all, have fun with it!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.