Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 06:44 AM   #38
Soldier Girl

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck27 View Post
Thank you for your service. I hope you enjoy your next adventure.

You have received an invaluable amount of advice here. Experienced and knowledgeable fellow travelers.

You might consider looking at many of the RV groups that have been formed to provide camaraderie and support to members. They provide discounts for just about anything you can think of. Travel and medical insurance services, medical evacuation, pet services if you are laid up. They can even provide someone to return your RV to you if you are medevac'd home. Check them out.

Two groups you might look into are S.M.A.R.T. and Escapees. You don't have to join them to see what they have to offer. But must join if you want the benefits.

S.M.A.R.T is a group of military veterans. Originally started for retired military RVers. You can find info on all military bases with rv resources. If you have a question for a specific base, there will be several members that can tell you their experinces. They have Local Chapters throughout the U.S.

Escapees is a group primarily for full-time RVers. They have member campgrounds throughout the U.S. and have hundreds of other campgrounds that offer you discounts for staying with them. Their primary location is in Livinston, TX. They offer mail forwarding services, medical respite services, RVers Bootcamp, RV weighing service and an RVers Online University.

Escapees would be especially helpful for you in deciding where to establish a domicile. Since you are already a Texas resident you might find that maintaing your Texas residency is best for you. With their mail forwarding service it is very easy to travel throughout the U.S. full-time and always get your mail no matter where you are.

There are many other RV groups out there each with a specific audience in mind, but as a military retiree and a wanna be full-timer these two have provided me the most useful information.

Take your time, learn everything you can about your rig and enjoy your new lifestyle.
Thanks dbsck27! I didn't know about S.M.A.R.T.! As for being a wannabe? We both were wannabes before this past Saturday evening. It's kind of like the first time we raised our hands, one moment we were "sorry civilians" as are Drills put it, & that moment seemed fraught with the unknown & the next moment we weren't. It felt like such a difficult task to get started with the RV life I wanted, but as soon as I esigned my loan with USAA, it felt like that same moment so many years ago & though I still don't know sheis, & the unknown is still unknown - I feel that same sense of exhilaration I did way back when & I know I won't be sorry - I was sorry 3 days ago, lol! Don't bother calling yourself a wannabe dbeck27, bc you're a willbe & cando - you proved it long ago, and thanks so much!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.