Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #4
lmichel

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #10644
Xantrex ProSeries 1800 reads low & cuts out

I get your point that it could also be a battery issue.
Here's some evidence that has me convinced otherwise:
- The specific gravity of each cell in the four Trojan T-145s reads between 1.270 and 1.290. (measured when the converter is down to supplying less than 5 amps)
- The symptom existed since the RV was purchased new in 2016. Of course Camping World wouldn't do anything about it. Which is why I gave up and swapped out the stock batteries for the T-145s.
- A battery issue doesn't explain why there is a difference between the voltage measured at the battery and the Xantrex display voltage.
- The batteries all hold a charge. If I top them off, turn off the breaker to the converter and let the bank sit 24hrs, the SG doesn't change more than .005

What I noticed is that the residential fridge is turning on the frost-free heater a couple times per day. It's drawing 30 amps from the battery bank for 15min intervals. However when the fridge is just cooling, it is only drawing 8 amps. Thor says: the stock battery bank is designed to run the fridge for a weekend and no more. Yeah... I need more than that. Especially since the crappy, unreliable generator in the 2016 has always overheated and shutdown after about 45min - another thing Camping World can't seem to fix.
I'm going to do the calculations using the bank of T-145s. Now that I know the current draw and duty cycle, I should be able to determine the kWh required. Then, I'm going to load the bank with a similar draw (motor?) and eliminate the Xantrex and the fridge. Let's see how they perform..
Thanks for your input! Valuable info

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum