Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 07:35 PM   #22
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
When Ford when to the 6-sp transmission they also re-tuned the engine for more torque at lower rpm. My coach (18,000 lb chassis) turns 1800 rpm at 62 mph. Down shifting to 5th at 62 mph gives 2,300 rpm and down to 4th gives 3,000 rpm which is where the engine's maximum torque is produced. Only at altitudes greater than 6,000 ft is it necessary to use the lower gears and to keep up with traffic on the two lane roads.
Agree for the 3-valve V10 in your F-53 chassis motorhome. The 2-valve V10 I believe remains unchanged. I was refering to E-Series chassis.

What’s surprising is that a larger motorhome like yours is actually geared significantly higher than smaller motorhomes like Axis/Vegas. You’re correct that your engine spins slower than that of Class Cs or Axis/Vegas.

In any case, I’d be shocked if the new 7.3 V8 that will replace the old V10 doesn’t produce even more torque. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean it will be geared taller to run slower. Probably will be, but it’s not a given in my opinion. Ford may stick with 4.10 gears on that size motorhome (present gears according to their specs).

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum