Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 06:04 PM   #34
gmtech16450yz

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Hey Ken, here's a couple more of my thoughts fwiw...

There are a lot of fun and good things in California that are illegal. lol. DO THE TUNE!!! I have a feeling you actually might want to do it yourself instead of buying the 5 Star tune. That's a whole 'nuther story though, we can get to that later.

I think simply getting the larger, better tires in the stock wheel configuration is a PERFECT solution. A lot of the stuff I do in a way falls into that "Don't try this at home" area. haha. Meaning I'm ok with risks and amount of work that others would think are crazy. For instance, I build my own engine calibrations. They're more aggressive than I would do for others simply because I monitor 40 different engine parameters every time I drive. Without that monitoring, you have to be much more conservative. The front wheel swap I did is a perfect example, I "monitor" lug nuts, front bearings and suspension parts. Most people don't want to bother with the follow up that it takes to keep some modifications "safe". That's perfectly fine.

I'm going to somewhat strongly suggest two changes to your shopping list though...
Skip the "track bar". I'm telling you it's not needed. Also skip the rear Sumo springs and instead just put airbags on the back. Sumo springs in the back are about 10% effective vs. airbags in helping with ride, load and ride height. I actually would rather put airbags in the front too over Sumo springs so that you have some way of controlling ride height in front. I'm not a super big fan of HOW the front airbags on the market are designed, but I have Firestones in the front and back of my Vegas and feel they are vital for ME.

You obviously are a smart guy and don't mind spending time doing your homework and are willing to spend the money required to make your new rig safe and effective. You WILL end up happy with your RV with those skills and attitude. I'm also more than happy to help people with those skills and attitudes.

edit... I have to make clear MY thoughts on "sag in the rear" and rear ride height. I would absolutely NOT recommend adding leafs to the rear suspension. Adding an airbag system is a FAR better approach for many reasons.

edit 2... I think you need to start a "build" thread with a better title so others can benefit from what we're both saying here. There's already some really good info in this thread but the original premise and title wouldn't make people come in here to learn about tuning and suspension.

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum