Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 08:35 PM   #28
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Rather than start a new thread, here’s a bit more information from Ford on the newest state-of-the-art powertrain options for the new 2020 Explorer.

As to how these two options may relate to the new 7.3L V8 for heavier duty trucks and RVs, I doubt the 3.0L EcoBoost option tells us much about what Ford is thinking. Other than maybe that some buyers are willing to pay a premium for added power and torque.

The Hybrid Explorer option seems a lot more interesting to me as to how it may relate to the 7.3L V8 in HD applications. The Hybrid Explorer is being marketed for fuel efficiency, not power; and fuel efficiency is more important in larger vehicles. Ford proudly mentions a range of over 500 miles for the new Hybrid Explorer.

The hybrid’s engine size at 3.3L is the same as on F-150, but combined power is 318 HP and 336 lb-ft of torque versus the F-150’s 290 HP and 265 lb-ft.

From Ford Media, “An all-new 10-speed modular hybrid transmission provides SUV capability. “

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...d-further.html

There’s not that much power difference, but significant torque improvement. My biggest question is whether this is a mild 48-Volt hybrid system combined with same engine as F-150, or whether it’s a more robust electric drive with a derated engine that has been modified for efficiency (like Atkinson cycle).

Either way, would it be that odd for Ford to repeat the same design but larger? Instead of a 3.3L naturally aspirated V6 engine with a 10-speed hybrid transmission, could they be working on a 7.3L V8 mated to a heavy duty 10-speed hybrid transmission? Could there be an Atkinson Cycle option to improve MPGs?

I hope a truck/RV capable 10-speed hybrid transmission is on the way within a year or two. Who knows, maybe even at Super Duty introduction.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.