Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 03:42 AM   #35
kmhappel

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #14024
SumoSprings vs. Airbags

First let me say that I have a prejudice as a geezer, anything that I can do to make use and maintenance easier has an advantage. My goal in adding an air-bag or a SumoSpring is to lessen road-feel in the vehicle's ride and to insure the rear-end clearance remains constant when the motorhome is loaded close to its GVWR.

Air-bags are adjustable and can be tuned to any load you are running. They require air-fill points or an automatic pressure regulation system. Even the SumoSpring representative acknowledged that if the vehicle is being used with a high degree of load variance, air-bags win the day. He also said that everything that follows is also true of an air-bag system except for ease of use and maintenance.

I asked the SumoSpring representative how he would specify SumoSprings for my Thor Vegas 27.7. He replied that there are two different ways he would go depending on my priorities. He sees RV's as relatively constant weight vehicles compared to, say, a delivery truck with the same E450 frame.

The viewpoint issue is really the rear axle specification. For the front the representative specified the SSF-106-40 soft blue urethane bump stop replacements (500lb @50% compression solo mount). He sees it reducing sway and road-impact shock when the front axle is moved to close to the point where it would contact the factory supplied bump stop. Since it starts acting several inches before the axel would hit the factory supplied bump stop, it can have a significant effect in slowing and smoothing the onset of road and terrain impact transfer to the vehicle. The basic benefits are ride smoothing, road noise reduction and a reduction in loss of control events.

The rear axle would be specified differently depending on the primary effect desired. The SSR-106-40-1 (2600lbs@50% compression Maxim mount) is for significant bounce and jolt smoothing in the coach and provides resistance to tail-end sag at full loads. The alternative, the SSR-106-54 (5400 lbs capacity @ 50% compression) is actually carrying a significant part of the load and is acting much more like a shock absorber and much less like a ride smoother, especially at lower loads. It could significantly raise the stance at full load.

I can understand the preference of air bags for those who understand and utilize the performance capability of their motor home’s design and its modifications. I want to use the design and modification capability to make up for our physical limitations as drivers, maintainers and emergency repairers of the motor home while underway.

The SumoSpring is a true install and forget product. While in Europe, I used to design urethane chemistry for applications including automotive. The material is impervious to most forms of damage. The SumoSpring is like a never-puncture tire; and, in this case, a never puncture and never adjust air bag.

I am going to go with the SSF-106-40 and the SSR-106-40-1 in the rear. I think the group of modifications I have found and evaluated as a result of this forum will make our time on the road vastly more safe and comfortable. While we are doing the whole range of improvements , all of the mods together cost much less than the savings we made by not listening to the initial dealer misinformation as a result of the community comments on this wonderful forum.

Thank you all. See you on the road. I am making a 27.7 manual like the one that brought me here and a modification guide for the Axxera console units as a way to give back. Thnxs once again.

Ken and Lynne Happel

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.