Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 04:28 PM   #3898
DenverTransplant

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
[QUOTE=mannclan;165021]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
I
Anyone replace their house batteries? We are going on a 5 month trip soon and are going to replace 2017 original batteries with Interstate group 27 DC batteries and would like some feed back good or bad.
thanks.
I changed out the EOM Harris batteries with a pair of Interstate 6V batteries. I got them direct from an Interstate store. The ones I got have a 225 amp-hour rating. The ones you can get at Costco aren't the same battery and have a much lower rating - 180 amp-hours if I recall. The OEM batteries were not retaining a charge. With a little searching on this forum you will find a number of posts citing how bad the Harris' are and how they don't honor warranties (they blame the failure on the WFCO converters).

The Interstates have worked very well for us in the two years we've had them. I have 200W of solar on the roof and a Bogart SC-2030 charger that keeps them charged. Especially useful when the coach is in winter storage. I check water monthly and have only had to top them off a couple of times. I do get a white lead sulphate powder collecting on the battery strap buckle. Not sure why as the SC-2030 is a smart charger and the batteries don't appear to be overcharged or boiling off. Something I keep an eye on.

You may want to consider changing your converter at the same time you upgrade batteries. The OEM WFCO converter isn't a very good one and has a reputation for overcharging batteries - which why Harris blames them for battery failure. I installed a Progressive Dynamics converter that is a slide in replacement for the OEM WFCO.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am ponding replacing the Interstates with AGM batteries as the AGM allow a deeper discharge than the wet batteries. I'm installing a 1500 W inverter and will see how much more I draw on the batteries this season and make a decision for 2020.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.