Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 07:26 PM   #72
kmhappel

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #14024
About cognitive impairment... a last word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Yes, it appears very personal to you, and it’s unfortunate that you tried to dismiss the seriousness of this issue.

It’s personal to me also, and when you see loved ones who don’t recognize their own children, can’t speak correctly, or feed themselves because they don’t know what to do with a fork, it can seem extremely real.

Believe what you want, but if you actually think that age doesn’t affect the probability of Alzheimer’s or other dementia, I respectfully suggest you get tested yourself. I did, because I wanted to know if I’m genetically predisposed; and luckily I’m not.

Beyond genetics, the rest comes down to lifestyle choices we can influence. I strongly suggest everyone research what they can do to reduce their risks because this is one horrible illness for everyone involved.
Dear Chance,

I don't take it personally as about me and I have seen all of that and more. I understand your pain if you are going through it yourself and, if so, please accept my condolences and support.

However, I never said that age doesn't have an affect on the probability of impairment, I disputed the relationship between 1/3 of all who die showing signs of impairment and the assumption that this is an indicator of the prevalence in the general population. I also dispute the implication that that impairment is generally distributed 20 years before death among those who show signs of impairment. I have done work in the medical records industry and HHS and the government itself thinks that a large majority of the research done uses poor to bad statistical analysis. I have also noticed that data points like the ones you mentioned are sometimes used to support invalid assumptions.

As for my needing a test because I believe the extent of impairment is different than you believe, I forgive you and understand that your reaction is due to your pain. Lastly I think that this should be an end to this subject within the thread.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.