Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #19
Long & Winding road

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
The standard charger doesn’t need reprogramming?

Now I’m confused

Who do I believe?
I know, everyone has an opinon on this stuff. Each manufacture has ther own "parameter" for charging AGM. Some say not a problem others recommend a different charge profile. Most of the AGM I have looked at are "slightly" different than the lead acid so IMO its not a big deal. Plus AGM deep cycle can take much more abuse than a LA DC.

May RV'er have just replaced the LA with AGM and used the stock converter without any issues.

Since the AGM charge quicker, and hold the charge longer I find myself Just NOT charging as often. If figured better safe than sorry.

Before with the LA I was afraid to over charge them with the OME converter (mostly from the horror stories you hear on the forums) so in the winter I would put on charge once a week for 24 / 48 hours then unhook it (I have indoor storage unit 3 miles from my house so very easy to do - you can put your on a good home timer if you want - one that you can specifiy what day to charge and for how long).

The OME level light gauge would go down one light (so 2/3 full I think?) and in two weeks 2 lights (1/3 full?). So they would drain fast but perhaps my OEM were crap anyway.

Now I put my AGM's on charge every 3 or 4 weeks. Most of the time it still shows full on the gauge or sometimes one bar. But I try to drive my RV every few weeks so this is really overkill.

Since I have the new PD 4655 converter I might just leave plugged in all the time but really I dont see any reason to do so.

So if your worried about over charging you can alway flip the converter breaker OFF when your plugged into the CG (or turn the switch at the door OFF).

I am one of those guys that checks all tank levels when I get into the RV (after being in storage) and several times a day when at the CG or on trips.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum