Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2019, 09:00 PM   #11
Long & Winding road

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Please consider that while feeling and hearing downshifts may be annoying to some drivers, they may actually save fuel and be less stressful on engine. Running an engine at close to 100% torque so it doesn’t downshift is neither the most fuel efficient nor easiest on engine.

I know there are other things going on, but it’s not an obvious win-win all around. Many people think that running at lower RPMs always saves fuel but that’s not the case. Often it’s more efficient to downshift and let engine operate at faster RPMs.
I can see your point but it does "seem" like its using more fuel efficent at a lower RPMs. If the engine is spinning faster, the intake and exhaust are sucking in and exhaling more so therefore more fuel being burnt? I dont know but it make sense.

But if you dont change your throttle positon (at Hi RPM or Low RPM) are you really using more or less fuel? Perhaps since its all computer controlled it will add more fuel as needed??

I dont know ... just a thought.... GMtech can answers these better than most of us.

I think as long as you dont bog down your engine (with an automatic it should not allow its self to "bog down" like my manual trans Jeep can) and it stays in a good torquey part of the power band I would think that would be more fuel efficient at a lower RPM.

Perhaps running at 100% peak torque at all time no matter what Rpm you will "win the race" to the finish line but be less fuel efficient??

But I think I would pick "comfort" (Less engine noise) and what I perceive as "easier on the engine" (AKA lower RPM) over MPG anytime.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.