Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 11:58 PM   #1
m@tt

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #13002
portable solar project and drilling external holes

I've been working on a portable solar setup that I believe will be quick and easy for my wife and her mother to use when they take the RV (four winds 2018) on a trip to moab. They will need a reliable charge on the house battery as they hike the area but they won't leave the panels outside while away from the RV since they are theft targets.

I have worked out most of the details for cables, connectors, panels, batteries (2x12v 100ah in parallel), external housing, etc. So far I like the renogy eclipse 200w portable for panels & 20A charge controller and I'm looking at using an mc4 extension with an mc4 to anderson powerpole adapter. I want to hard wire a connector to the house battery and run that to an exterior weatherproof anderson powerpole port that the panels can be plugged into. I've settled on anderson connectors since they are simple, fast, and hard to get wrong.

The catch is that I'm very worried about drilling a 1 1/8" hole for the housing into the exterior wall. as I'm pretty sure there's probably something necessary to keep an exterior wall's integrity intact during and after such an alteration than I am probably aware of.

Thoughts on this mess?

solar panels -> mc4 connectors -> renogy voyager 20A waterproof controller -> mc4 connectors -> mc4 extension cable -> mc4 to anderson powerpole adapter -> weatherproof powerpole houng/plug on exterior wall -> housing -> power pole 40Amp fuse (on both - and +) jumper -> power pole ring battery terminal connector

Edit: I should mention I'm not into doing the full RV roof solar install at this time with an inverter and everything because there is hardly any room left in my four winds for more battery unless I sacrifice some serious storage or pull the generator out and turn that space into a battery vault.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum