Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 07:04 PM   #3964
jannnda

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
You need what Jeep calls ActiveDrive II, which is a transfer case that has a Neutral position. All Trailhawks have it and you will find a few in non Trailhawk models, but those aren’t that common. The way to determine if the Jeep has it is to look for the recessed button (the kind you use a pencil tip to push), a small LED and an “N” to the right below the Mode knob. If its not there, it doesn’t have ActiveDrive II and can’t be flat towed. Attached is a picture of my 2017 Trailhawk. Excuse the dirt - its winter time here.

A 2018 also requires the Flat Tow Kit (aka the Death Wobble Cable) to keep the power steering alive when you are towing. There is a cable that powers the power steering under the hood and a switch that goes in the console that is used to tell the ECM not to panic about the PS being powered with the ignition off. The cable has a fuse you have to put in and take out before and after towing. I added a switch inside in series with the fuse so I can leave it in.

The cable has been hard to find, but eventually a Jeep dealer will get one for you. It’s a job that can be self installed if you are mechanically inclined. Not all that hard of a job, but you do have to pull the console and intercept and splice some wiring under the hood.
I am so not mechanical inclined my wife won’t let me shop at IKEA. Thanks for the info.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum