Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 12:52 PM   #15
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
There's a "Survey of Public Opinion" going on right now regarding this subject. It suggest reducing the number of days you can stay and charging fees in many places that are currently free. I'm on the fence but see their point. It will open more spots for people willing to pay a small fee for the benefit. They are beginning to see the "nomad movement", "van-dwellers" and "life's about everything free" tent crowd are an issue as the numbers increase. They do not want these areas to become another "slab city" and that's where it's heading.

No matter how thin you slice an issue, there are always two sides.

Campers have gotten progressively larger and larger over the years, with exception of maybe last 2 years or so, yet the cost to stay in a campground is hardly proportional to the rigs’ size and required land area; which affects capital investment.

When I went to my very first RV show (I think I was 19), many Class As were 22 feet or less, Cs were in same range or shorter, and Bs and (what we now call) B+ in 20-ft or less in length were common. VW Westfalia and Toyota pickup-Class Cs could be seen all over campgrounds, and not one had a slide that extended into the neighbors site. Very few sites had 50-Amp service (100-Amp equivalent), instead 30-Amp at best. Many trailers were very small too by comparison to what we have today. And we shouldn’t forget that because these rigs were short, very few towed a toad to get around.

Now we need pull throughs for 60-foot combined rigs with slides on both sides, versus whatever a 15~20 foot narrow rig like a VW van would require.

When I make reservations it doesn’t cost me any less when traveling in my van, versus towing a trailer with same van, or in a 30-foot C.

The worst part is that we often make reservations in advance to get a nice site, not caring about cost, to have the campground move us to a small site so they can fit a large rig in the one I had reserved. Yet my cost is the same. That can make people pissed because we are being penalized for choosing to drive smaller units.

If KOA wants my opinion (and they don’t), I would suggest they create a campground with a section for smaller rigs and price it accordingly. I know people in tents, vans, etc. need larger bathrooms and showers, so if price is nearly the same so be it. They can probably fit twice as many units in same land area. I’m willing to pay whatever it takes to “CAMP” and be close to nature. What I don’t ever want is being stuck between two huge motorhomes or trailers with slides extended on both sides of me that makes a visit to KOA worse than a night in a rest area.

For what it’s worth, I paid just under $100 for a KOA in Maine. Not a great campground but location and view was worth it. I prefer campgrounds that are more rustic like many in California or Disney where you get shade from trees, not a carport (solar or otherwise).

RANT OVER

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.