Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 09:38 PM   #4
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary d View Post
Noticed when traveling from Yuma to San Diego coming down from 8000 ft that the tranny shifts down into a very low gear pinning the rpms. To get it out I have to either hit the gas or put in neutral. Pretty scary when coming down. Next week I have to go back to yuma and am a little worried. Called Ford they were no help. The Ford 150 was just recalled because of something similar. Ford says not my Triton v 10. Called my mechanic back home in NY who said try unhooked negative cable on battery to reset factory setting. The rig seems well on flat land.
Any suggestions. May have to come back to San Diego for family and then 2 weeks later back over that nasty mtn for NY. Cannot take it to Ford here.
THANKS in advance
The Triton V-10 is an overhead cam engine and as such is able to stand much higher rpms than push-rod, overhead valve engines. The the ECU (engines computer) limits the V-10 in the motor homes to 5,200 rpm. This engine can sustain operation in the 4,500 to 5,200 rpm range without any damage. Should the coach still continue to accelerate in the present gear the transmission will up-shift rather than over-rev the engine. Unless you see the tachometer go above 5,400 rpm just enjoy the noise. Of course you can disengage the cruise control, show down shift into second and motor down the mountain with all the heavy trucks. This is what I do when out west, as I feel 40 mph on a 6% grade descent is the max speed I feel safe in my 23,000 lb rig.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.