Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 03:05 PM   #7
KCook

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
One of the things to look at when considering this is the tire and wheel size. Great strides have been made in super single weight ratings at the 22.5 inch size (Challenger, Miramar and diesel pushers) but what have they done at the 19 inch (Hurricane, Windsport) and 16 inch (E350) sizes.

I was reading where to handle the weight of a coach with slides you would need a 20 or higher ply tire (to get the correct weight rating) and a tire that hard would result in an uncomfortable ride on a coach without air suspension. I believe that is one reason it took so long to get super singles on the high end bus conversions (Prevost etc...). It seems some of those manufacturers are starting to make the switch now.

As to upgrading a current coach, estimates I've seen from a couple years back have the cost at between 3200 and 4000 for a coach with 22.5 inch tires. The question that one must ask is do the miles driven annually justify such an expense. In general (not always the case) motorhome tires will be replaced due to age rather than mileage.

One additional point I read was along with super singles is the addition of a wider tracking front tire to complete the package. As low as the Challenger body sits over the front tires while travelling I'm not sure I could put a wider tire up front.
Chance is correct Super Single are only for no Steering axles. Trucks with wider or flotation tires the front fender are set up for turning.

KC

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.