Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #10
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
One of the things to look at when considering this is the tire and wheel size. Great strides have been made in super single weight ratings at the 22.5 inch size (Challenger, Miramar and diesel pushers) but what have they done at the 19 inch (Hurricane, Windsport) and 16 inch (E350) sizes.

....cut....
Dave, this data from Michelin answers some of your questions regarding 22.5- and 19.5-inch available Super Single tire sizes. The larger sizes seem like overkill for most motorhomes, with ratings in the 20,000-pound-per-axle range.

In smaller 16-inch size this Michelin table doesn't show any Super Single or Wide Base tires, but other manufacturers may have offerings. Like I mentioned before, Mercedes offers what they call Super Single option on Sprinter vans. I'm not sure but may be made by Continental.

Load & Inflation Tables | Michelin Truck

After reviewing Michelin tire load data and specs for Ford F53 chassis, it seems to me that tires are not the limiting factor to having a motorhome with four equal-size tires if the OEM wanted to build one. Dual rear tires make sense to me for many trucks because their empty versus loaded weight can vary so much (can double the weight), but that's not the case at all for motorhomes.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.