Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: A Weigh We Go
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 02:20 AM   #1
Mr Sunshine

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
A Weigh We Go

We weighed our 2016 Vegas 25.2 today. I recommend everybody should do this. There are two 4 point weigh services in Central Florida that I know of. We used Esca pees in Bushnell, Florida.

Here's the quick answer to the obvious question. Our coach, loaded the way we travel, is very well balanced and within the weight guidelines. The front only varied 50# from side to side, and the rear, 100#.

They recommend to arrive loaded normally for travel, fuel and LPG full, gray and black tanks empty, and water filled, ours was at the normal traveling amount, between 1/3 and 2/3. (Remember, water weighs just over 8 pounds/gal.) My math says, if the water tank was full we would be near the GVWR of 12,500.

To be fair, we loaded 160 pounds of ballast to replace food, clothes, books, etc. That may have been too much. DW and I were up front like normal, and we are average size. If we added another couple and more stuff for 4 people, we would likely have to put the coach on a diet and lose some pounds somewhere.

Your results will vary. We don't cram every storage bin and drawer to the limit. I carry some tools, about 20# worth, a small compressor, and a collapsible ladder. I intend to check the total weight again when we are actually loaded for travel. Longer trips naturally require a bit more.

He also checked the height, which is 11' 1". Add 3" for clearance tolerance. He didn't check air pressures, but suggested I check a chart, using the actual weights, on the Michelin website.

It's an eye opener for a lot of people. You can find the address and phone number by searching for SMARTWEIGH, or PM me for the number.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.