Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 03:06 AM   #9
Soldier Girl

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
Felker Army Airfield....
I was never there, exactly...but your story still sparks memories for me too.

I lived in Williamsburg from 1990 till 1994. Learned to fly out of Williamsburg, flew over and around that area a bunch.... & I remember one night out on the river...
Several of us had taken a couple boats down for dinner in Smithfield. Well one of the boats conked out about half way there...and wouldn't start ...the one I was on...so the other boat towed us the rest of teh way to dinner....and then all the back home that night...it was late and slow going...I remember working slowly through that ghost fleet. It was a moonlit night. I've been a tiny bit of a military history buff for most of my life, and so those ships that night stirred up all kinds of thoughts.....'memories' if you will, 'sights', and 'sounds' of those that had served on those old ships
I can imagine how powerful that must have been, actually floating among the ghost fleet... I'm a bit of a perpetual history student, too (but unfortunately never earned any wings, sigh).

I love American history/civics & military history but ended up doin my undergrad in middle eastern affairs w/minors in Jewish history/language & physical anthropology. I continued thru my JD as that's the normal pathway for doctoral studies in international affairs.

But my trajectory hit "real life" & took an unexpected turn (or maybe nosedive), so I never completed the doctorate. Now that I have this new life on the road I can get back to American studies & travel to the places that shaped our Nation, formed the essence of who I was as a soldier & who I am becoming now. It's very exciting for me!

I guess what I feel is that the past is always here in the present (even tho I may not always acknowledge it in my daily life). To me it's who we are & how we came to be; but some of those events & places were so pivotal to the American psyche, that time doesn't seem weaken the power they exude. Maybe that's part of how the ghost fleet was able to pierce time & enveloped you as you slipped over the waves above?

I wish I could have been on that towed boat! Thanks for telling me about it. You made my day, Sir

Donna

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.