Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 06:01 PM   #9
Budman

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
Interesting thread. I just purchased a 2012 Serano in early October and one of the first things that we had to address was the steps. As mentioned in an earlier post, there was nothing there to hold them up, only the stairwell box which was 3/32 steel. If it only had to hold the weight of the person entering the stairwell, it would probably hold for a while. The problem is that the steps themselves were also being supported by that thin box. Again, if the steps didn't have to extend, there would have been less stress on the end of the box, but with the person's weight, added to whatever they were carrying into the MH, plus the weight of the steps and the fact that the steps were extended out over a foot produced way too much stress on the box and it cracked on both sides. The crack continued to extend farther and farther back to where everything was hanging by a thread.
My son has excellent welding skills and he fabricated all new structural supports to resolve the issue. The supports changed the load from the stairwell box back to the chassis frame where it should have been in the first place. Now they are solid as a rock. Took some photos, but would be difficult to explain without extensive write-up. Also I would guess that the Serrano would be different from other models.
Would you mind sending ur pics to my PM? Thx, Dennis.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.