Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #43
rudyhehn

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
I also had trouble with my hot water heater. My issue was the thermostat (see below). Here is how I would proceed. (Forgive me if some of this is redundant with other posts)
-- Be sure the hot water heater is not bypassed. There is a dial near your water intake that has a setting to bypass the HWH for winter storage.
--Be sure the outside shower head is turned off at the water controls and not with the on/off toggle at the shower head. If not hot and cold water will mix.
--Check the reset switch in your RV. Turn off both the propane and electric switches for 15 minutes.
--Check for water in the tank by removing the drain plug. At the same time pop open the brass pressure relief valve so that the air head space can re-accumulate.
--Check the electrical option first. Be sure you are plugged into shore power or run your generator. Turn on the electrical HWH switch and wait an hour. Then check for hot water at the sinks and showers. If any of them are hot but others are not, the problem is a line or spigot issue. If none are hot at all then its the HWH. If warm but not hot it may be the thermostat.
--Check the propane by running the stove. Then open the HWH access door and watch from a safe distance while someone turns on the HWH propane switch. The white ceramic igniter should spark. If the propane burner does not light in 4-5 seconds check the thermostat and fuses (next step)
--There is a spring loaded thermostat that is covered with insulation. It is a coin like device spring loaded and sits metal to metal with the side of the hot water heater. On mine a mud dauber had built a nest adjacent to the thermostat which got wet and shorted it out. Clean the connections and also check the fuse that is inline with the device. Also check the connections at the circuit board.
--Finally check the heating element with a meter. There is a wiring diagram in the RV or on the access panel. The element should show continuity with an ohmmeter.
--IF that does not work it's over my head!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.