Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 10:25 PM   #18
petefoss

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
as for the OP, the Palazzo coach - I assume you are referring to your two CHASSIS batteries, both 12v and yes, in parallel, which is 12v output, just like my '14.

I've never had any issue, whether while parked for months at a time in a Florida rv park, while traveling, or while the coach is in storage, with the charge status of the CHASSIS batteries - my coach has never had any issues with starting.

I imagine that Thor did not deviate much on the type of charging system within these coach relative to the '14 and '16 model, and would assume that your BIRD and 12v D.C. Continuous Coil relay works just like mine - when it senses the House batteries are at a certain level, it also provides charge voltage to the CHASSIS batteries, and vice versa when you are driving and the Alternator can provide charging to the House batteries.

While on shore power, the BIRD should eventually provide the Chassis batteries any charge they need, as well as when on the generator. If you have any SOLAR, that output would go directly to your HOUSE batteries, but I suppose that the BIRD is still in play, IF the Use/Store switch is NOT in STORE mode, since that defeats most of the 12v systems in the coach, probably including the 12v D.C. Continuous coils, for both the BIRD and the AUX 'Emergency' manual switch(on your dash), which also manually allows for tying the two battery banks together, to start either the engine, the generator, or if the slides or jacks need 'extra' power.

so...if you have a trickle charger, or solar, for your House batteries, and you have your switch in 'USE' mode, then you should have extra volts going to your CHASSIS battery bank when it is available.
The lack of chassis charge from shore power in my 31W is exactly why I'm thinking solar for the chassis maintenance. The alternative is a small AC maintainer plugged into the coach feeding the always live cig lighter socket on the dash. That maintains everything provided I'm plugged in.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.