Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #68
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Perhaps with that configuration they could eliminate the generator altogether. I would think that would cost less than a generator but a 3kW inverter may cost as much as the 5kW Onan!

I doubt manufacturers would eliminate the traditional Onan generator on larger motorhomes, but having dual alternators with proper electrical setup may make it possible to offer the Onan as an option (or option to delete).

If you can run rooftop A/C while driving, and inverter can power microwave, or coffee maker, etc., then what’s left for smaller 30-Amp rigs that don’t boondock?

Most RVers stay in campgrounds with hookups, and at National Parks and many other places they don’t allow generators most of the time anyway, so need for an Onan would be reduced. Obviously boondocking, ballgames, or racetrack would still require a generator for now.

An extra alternator should cost less than $1,000, and an inverter/charger anywhere between $1,000 and $2,000 depending on quality and rating. It should be easier to install a 30-Amp inverter/charger than a generator, so overall cost not that different.

If I could eliminate a 4,000 Watt Onan and get an extra 3,500-Watt alternator plus full-house 3,600 Watt (or ~ 4,000) inverter/charger for same cost, I’d trade for the Onan. I rarely used the Onan I had, and at football games could use my portable if needed at night for A/C.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum