Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #20
roncalderz@gmail.com

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Colorado
THOR #13375
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
"...there is nothing in the DEF or Emissions related systems that will suddenly 'STOP' your engine - that is pure bunk. Cummins emissions related systems are not part of your ENGINE, only the emissions. The only related action is due to a low, or lack of, DEF liquid, which can send a signal to the engine to 'derate' it, meaning that it will govern your engine output to a lower mph speed, but has nothing to do with shutting it down or off."

Perhaps my "stop you cold" was an exaggeration...but...ANY issue with DEF will eventually STOP your engine. I was involved in commercial truck sales when this program was first forced on diesels. I've owned a 2011 Duramax since new. 2011 was the first year this was mandated for light trucks. Low fluid, poor quality fluid, failure of the system to regenerate correctly and several other symptoms will give you warnings as to how many more miles you have till empty, how many more miles you have to a forced reduction in speed of 55 MPH, how many more miles you have to a forced reduction in speed of 5 MPH and a final warning of forced no re-start. It's not limited to low or lack off fluid only. Forcing my vehicle to a government chosen reduced speed is a forced penalty any way you look at it. There should be a one-time emergency bypass to get you where you can have it refilled, repaired or replaced. If you were in the middle of nowhere and had an issue other than low or poor quality fluid requiring service by a commercial truck mechanic, it could lead to huge tow charges. It isn't just Cummins...it's every diesel driven vehicle. Caterpillar chose to not install the system and just pay the fine...interesting how they are no longer in the engine business.
I appreciate any and all feedback.
I am truly amazed at how much info can be found here. Just wish I had the same passion for learning when I was a young man. Thanks.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum