Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #2
simidrm

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
Today while I was starting to get our Aria ready to use for the summer, I could not open the compartment for the electric cord. Luckily it was that compartment and I was able to get under the camper back by the engine and get a small vice grips on the back of the screws holding the latch loop. Any other compartment I don't know what I would have done. Anyway after getting the door open and removing the latch mechanism I found that the pivot screw had backed out, to the outside paddle did nothing. These pivot screws are not shoulder screws, and are supposed to be held in place by a lock washer. But, if you tighten them up enough for the lock washer to work, the cam will not pivot. And since the lock washer does not hold the screw, it rotates when the door is opened. So this one backed out. I pulled all of the compartment latches removed the screws and put lock-tight on them. Hopefully this will keep them from rotating in the future. I also do not know which models may use this style latch.
Did the other latches have lockwashers?
I looked at mine and it looks the there are no lockwasher on them but the screws have a shoulder and are just long enough to bottom out in the hole and leaving the cam loose enough to pivot

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum