Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 10:10 AM   #1
10scDust

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
My new learning curve: the Refrigerator

First, I want to say thanks for this forum and the info folks have provided.
Somebody posted a link to a troubleshoot and repair guide for Norcold frdges, I printed it out, and it helped a lot.

Refrigerator would not start up on 120 vac.
Hmmm
Spent a couple days reading through searches here until I found that link, very good.

At first I was worried about the fridge itself because on LP gas, it took two days, at least, to see results.
I was relieved to at least know the cooling system worked and did not need an $800 cooling unit install, which I would have attempted myself.
I kind of expected to see cooling results within the first 12 hours on LP, just was not sure, because it was in 40's outside anyway.

After looking, and testing to verify power, from the outside source through to the 120 vac outlet at the back of the fridge.
Looked at all the fuses, circuit breakers, and learned some things along the way.

Question: The 120 vac in the breaker box, it is present (and all outlets in the RV work) both, with the use switch on or off, is that okay?
I thought otherwise and read the switch says Use/ Battery disconnect, or something similar, Huh! Who-da-thunk!

Well anyway, I found a fuse blown, the 5 amp AGC type glass tube one on the power board and replaced it.
Testing the fridge from initial start up again...
This time, no 120 vac found, and after the LP gas starts up no problem, I get an on code of 3 blinks then on every three seconds.
The AC heat element fault code.

The AC heat element shown zero, zilch, for resistance on my ohm meter.
I have one on order now.

I did notice the one resistor, mounted directly above that 5A AGC fuse, the panel board around it has yellowing discolor, not the resistor itself, just the board.
That resistor in slot 611, measures 6.86 ohms.
Until I get and install the AC heater, I will not know if I also need the power board too.

I know the bands represent a code for resistance, I don't have it memorized anymore, besides, I was not an electronics tech during my career, I do remember some of the mnomic, and also know some proprietors created their own color code to decipher resistor values.
What do I know, meanwhile...

At least the fridge is working, (it even made ice!), and I can leave for the week, heading out to SW Alabama.
I won't have internet, never serf on my cell phone, so I won't update this thread until I get back.

Thanks again for the knowledge y'all share on here, I'm still learnin'!
Stay safe out there... ttyl

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.