Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 11:31 PM   #30
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
Wouldn't that require all dependent systems to be 48V or do you see a converter in there? I need to do more reading but it would seem inefficient to step it down to 12v?
48V auto electrical systems for mild hybrid is already a reality. We don’t need to speculate.

Yes, they use a DC-DC converter to step down a small amount of power from 48V to 12V (nominal) for items in vehicle which are already there, like lights, radio, power windows, windshield washer, etc.

It is expected that as new vehicles are designed with 48V electrical from the onset, many or all of these items will run on 48 Volts, so there should be no need for DC to DC converter.

The RV industry will likely follow a similar transformation in my opinion. Initially the use of 48V will be extremely limited, but it should become a new standard in time. Just my guess though.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum