Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 12:54 PM   #13
Squerly

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCoastal View Post
Take 2 of my 6V Crowns from 5th and install on Motorhome to give me 440AH of Battery capacity.
Install my 2000w Pure Sine Inverter from 5th to Motorhome
( I will use this to power any 110/120 V stuff I need too and
I can run my 10 Gauge extension cord with 50 amp pigtail to
Plug in to power all coach electrical jacks when at the Lease or
boondocking so I dont run the Genny)
All I have to do is make sure the Converter breaker is off so
the coach doesn't try to charge the batts and start a "Battery
Death Spiral"

Dave E.
League City
2019 Miramar 35.3
This ^^^ is what I have been working on as well. I probably wouldn’t have spent the money on this kind of setup, but I happen to already have the panels, 5KW inverter, etc., so I figured it would be a great boondocking setup.

I just can’t get comfortable with the converter switching on/off issue. And I want to be able to charge this additional set of batteries with the generator when necessary or by default with the RV park AC is available. Again, the timely switching on/off of different components is what bothers me. And then, teaching my wife when to do everything (and what to do) is a consideration.

So as an alternative, I’m leaning towards replacing the worn-out house batteries with my bigger batteries. Connect the solar controller to the now larger house batteries. Install the inverter under the bed (easy access to DC) and move the wires that provide the coaches AC so they are now fed from the inverter. I will leave the air conditioner connected as normal. If I need air, I’ll turn on the generator.

The result is, with the exception of the air conditioner, I’m always running my AC outlets from the house batteries. I can use RV park AC, or turn on the generator and charge them without switching anything, and that’s a huge convenience in my book.

If I’ve missed something, I’m hoping somebody with more knowledge will jump in and straighten me out.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum