Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 01:54 AM   #12
dlbeck27

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: California
THOR #2917
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
2017 Thor Chateau 31L.

I was parked in FL for a month. The only time the motor ran is when I pulled in and when I left. No issues. I even put a charge on my Patriot brake system the night before using the 12v outlet on the dash. I charged my Garmin (not much there) two nights before to apply updates before I left.

I'm parked in Tucson for a slightly less than 4 weeks and the chassis battery is dead. The Emer start switch in the cab saved the day but I'd rather know what to expect.

I might have been able to jump it with the toad and I have a trickle charger and extension cords if that's required but I'd rather not if I'm not supposed to have to.

Before I go through the pain of calling the delightful people at Thor (depends on who you get), does anyone know if the 31L is suppose to charge the chassis battery when hooked to shore power?

Thanks in advance for your help. Over and out.
We bought our 2016 Chateau 31L in Nov. 2015. The coach batteries died after our first trip and La Mesa RV replaced them under warranty. We now have 19,000 miles on it and replaced the two coach batteries and the chasis battery two weeks ago.

The batteries are checked monthly and topped off with distilled water when necessary. Hydrometer tested every 6 months or so. Coach batteries are on solar and maintained by the solar controller. We boondock 4 or 5 times a year. Thinking about putting the chasis battery on solar, also.

The chasis battery died on us about a year ago when the rig was parked for about 5-6 weeks. Since we are out on the road 6-10 days every month and usually have a 6 week Spring outing every year I never thought to start the engine while it sat that one time.

After the chasis battery died I noticed the terminals started to corrode and the hydrometer readings started to indicate the battery was deteriorating. I had the rig in for oil and filter service in January and the chasis battery failed the load test (9 volts). Even though it was still starting the engine with no indication that it was going bad, since I didn't want to wake up one morning and find the battery dead we replaced it.

The chasis battery is not charged when on generator or shore power.
dlbeck27 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.