Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2019, 08:14 PM   #48
gnach

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Headlight Replacement

This should apply to all models but mine is a 2018 Axis/Vegas. The passenger side headlight lens was broken, yet the OEM halogen lamp still lit. I was going to replace the stock bulbs for LEDs when I spotted the shattered lens. I ordered the replacement Kaper II L01-0035 Clear 5 3/4" Headlight -HB5 (Amazon). I already had the Hikari LED Conversion Kit-9007 (HB5).

The process is pretty straight forward. For best access it's easiest to turn the front wheel behind the light hard to the inside and open your "hood". On this Axis, from inside the wheelwell, there are 3 longs screws held with 3/8" nylock nuts from the chromed headlight trim. Two inboard nuts are easily reached from the front, thru the open hood. Remove the nuts and gently ease the trim piece from the headlight and turn signal. The replacement lamp comes with the same halogen bulb, bezel, and the mounting shell. I only needed the lamp since I was changing out the bulbs. The existing lamp is held in place by the bezel and 3 screws. Remove the screws and bezel, jiggle the lamp loose, pull forward and ease the blue socket off the bulb by gently lifting the lock tab. If only replacing the headlamp, install the new one, with bulb, paying attention to the TOP orientation on the glass lens. Replace the bezel with the 3 screws. This would be a good time to test that the headlight works. Replace the chromed headlight trim and you're done.

To replace only the bulbs, you don't need to remove the chrome trim and it's easy from the open hood. The bulb is held by a black ring, twist to the left and jiggle the bulb out. It's snug. The 9007 (HB5) LED replacement bulb is not a straight replacement. It has an adapter ring that twists into the back of the headlamp and the bulb inserts into this and is adjustable, rotationally, but the chips are to be set at 9 and 3 o'clock, horizontally. There is a pigtail that plugs into the stock socket on the end of the wires.

Looking at them from head-on, the light is bluish. From inside, it's very white and considerably brighter. The illumination from the stock lens is garbage. The pattern is narrow, diamond-like with no cut-off. It's really noticeable with the improved light output. Obviously, I need to adjust these now, but I have to do it on the street as the the driveway is angled and too short anyway.

So now, I'm looking for a 5 3/4" High/Low headlamp that's designed for current standards and not a farm tractor. Hmm, maybe John Deere has a better unit. Probably.

New LED Low Beam Pattern-

New LED High Beam Pattern
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum