Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Solar setup
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 08:54 PM   #46
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadv View Post
I didn’t test tilted vs non but I can tell you that pic was taken in Soldotna AK around first week in June last year, around 1pm, with front of coach pointed east, so using the NOAA sun position calculator page (https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/azel.html) looks like suns elevation was about 50 degrees. I’m sure tilting the panels south that day improved efficiency quite a bit. I stayed at that campground for ~3 weeks it was the only time I tilted panels on my trip cause I just didn’t stay as long in one place after that and sun got higher in elevation as trip progressed into summer and I moved south toward Wash DC and back to AZ. Maybe this year I’ll do a same day/time tilt comparison with sun elevation data.

Thanks for reply, and look forward to additional data if you test affect of tilting the panels on power production. Based on length of shadow on motorhome roof seen on one of your pictures, I’d bet it will make a significant difference.

The issue I’ve thought about, since panels have become cheaper, is at what point it may make sense to add more panels instead of tilting mechanisms. Granted, roof space may not allow additional panels anyway. Any idea on how much the tilting mechanisms added to total cost?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.