Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 10:02 PM   #35
Squerly

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
On Monday I installed a 1,200-watt, pure sine power inverter with automatic transfer switch. It was a swingin deal at $199.00 and free shipping. I connected it to the side of the breaker box that handles all the outlets, TV’s, refer and the microwave. The other side of the fuse box handles the water heater, air conditioners and the converter. I won’t need those most of the time and if I do, I will turn on the generator.

Yesterday I drove over to Asheville and picked up four 6-volt, 430 AH Batteries which I installed today. These aren’t AGM batteries so maintenance will be required, but for the difference in cost, I’ll deal with adding water every few months.

The battery bay is directly underneath the extended slideout, so lifting these 122 lb. bad boys was a little awkward. A smarter person would have closed the slideout first, but I had already removed the old batteries so closing the slideout wasn’t possible. But they’re in now, and if I’ve done my math correctly, I have 860 amps to draw from. (More accurately, 430 as I won’t run them below 50%.)

I have a barn full of solar panels from another project and I hope to install a couple of them when I get the time. But for now, I’d just like to get the furniture in (should be here by the 15th) and go have some fun.

Oh, quick question. Should I be concerned about the extra weight I’ve added to that side of the coach? I don’t know what batteries the coach came with when it was new but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a set this large/heavy.
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.