Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #1
JimOIB

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Constant water problems - 24F

My FW 24F is 27 months old from date of manufacture - I have had it for 22 months. Over those 22 months water penetration in the coach has been an issue - stove vent was not sealed on the outside, slide trim not sealed, cab over window not sealed. One thing after another. My latest adventure was getting the coach ready for a trip after a rainstorm. I found both sides of the cab over wet on the inside, I mean wet, and water still dripping. I was able to trace the leak to the corner molding that goes from the roof the the bottom of the coach and it had no sealant on it. Water was getting under the molding, has soaked the wall plywood and now water has a way into the coach. Now I have a slight moldy smell inside from all of the water. And, the trim inset started to come off the coach. I was ready to get a match.

I pulled the trim insert out and was shocked at what I saw. Almost all of the screws on the underside of the cab over were rusted, some with the heads broken off. There were a mix of stainless steel, inside panel and countersunk screws installed - whatever was on the shop floor.

I spent the day yesterday removing each screw, filling the hole with silicone and replacing with stainless steel pan head screws on each side of the coach. Then installed new insert trim.

Next I went around the complete coach and sealed every corner and penetration on the coach with clear Geocel Proflex sealant. Not easy stuff to work with, looks a bit messy (operator induced) but the coach is sealed.

Water has been the bane of my coach over the past 2 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coach.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	16554   Click image for larger version

Name:	driverside.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	16555  

Name:	panhead.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	16556   Click image for larger version

Name:	screws.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	16557  

Name:	countersunk.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	16558  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum