Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 10:56 PM   #16
Thor-Machine

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #14807
Surge-Guard (30 amp model)

I installed Surge-Guard's 30 amp model along with their remote monitor.
I cut the 120v main feed between the transfer switch and the main circuit breaker box figuring I'd have protection from shore power & generator.
The install was fairly straight forward but there is a couple of annoying quirks that I still have not gotten used to.

First, the unit has a 20 second delay from the time you apply power until the time it turns on. Then, it has another 127 second delay while it goes through some kind of analysis before actually turning on power to the coach.
If you purchase the remote display you can watch the seconds count down.
To make matters a bit more annoying, any time you lose power to the coach, you have to go through the same wait.
That initially doesn't seem like that much of a bother BUT I was using the coach last week & a storm came through & everything got a thorough soaking. This caused a "ground fault" somewhere, probably at the pedestal, and my power cut off. I had to reset the power numerous times before clearing the fault and I spent better than a half hour, total time, waiting on this unit to do its 2-1/2 minute count down. Let me remind you that each time I had to reset the power, I had to walk outside, at night, in the rain, to reset the pedestal circuit breaker.
The unit does claim to have an automatic built-in reset but apparently it doesn't try resetting with ground faults because it never did try to come back on until I removed power.
To those of you that have installed this same unit, Does this sound like proper operation?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.