Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2019, 11:27 PM   #111
tgsmith4845

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.4
State: California
THOR #12011
Quote:
Originally Posted by richguess1946 View Post
So, I just got my new (to me) Thor 27.2 ACE. I got under it today, thinking I could do the CHF. This was the front bar. However, the links are about 2" short to connect with the proximal (inboard) hole on the stock sway bar. I saw on a forum that I could get Hellwig 7962 adjustable links. They're about $125. Here's my questions:

Is the CHF essentially equivalent to putting on a new sway bar? The Roadmaster is $500+. If it's better, I'll put out the cash for that rather than spend less and have less improved results.

Is the situation the same for the rear links?

I plan to put on a track bar and SafeTPlus stabilizer as well. I was hoping that the CHF, steering stabilizer, and track bar would significantly improve things.

Rich Guess
In my opinion, I think the stock sway bar on the ACE’s should be enough. It’s pretty beefy.

To do the CHF, you need to rotate the front end of the sway bar up so the stock drop link can reach the proximal hole. The sway bars are designed to twist (torque) within their bushings in the mounts to the chassis, but sometimes the bushings are pretty stiff. You might need to loosen the mount bolts on each side to rotate the sway bar up, or use a jack to help them up. After you rotate the sway bar and put the drop links in the proximal holes, you do lose optimal geometry between the sways and the drops links. Ideally, these should be orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other for maximum sway bar effectively. That’s where the adjustable/longer Hellwig 7962 links come in. The longer link will allow you to connect to the proximal hole on the sway bar and still maintain the 90 degrees difference between the two. Remember to connect the links to the sway bay with the MH weight on the wheels, and ensure there is no pre-load (torque) on the bar.

I just installed the Hellwigs up front and am happy with the setup. The rear sways with the CHF seem ok, so I’ll leave them for now.

Tim

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.