Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #13
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstand View Post
As a non professional armchair electrician- I offer a full refund for this free advice if it’s crap. The xantrex gets a/c in from the panel/breaker, and its a/c out goes to the outlets; this is the pass through when on shore/gennie. When inverting from battery, it’s sending a/c directly out to those outlets- it’s not sending back to the panel. Because the fridge does not benefit from inverting, it must be ‘upstream’ from the inverter. I’m not sure how that wiring is accomplished, maybe someone here knows.
Thanks.... while that does make sense, according to the manual if it is not sending the AC back to the panel, Xantrex says there should be a breaker on the outbound AC to act as a subpanel.

But even thinking about what you said... the AC is not a direct pass-through from the inverter directly to those AC outlets because when I am under shore power the breaker in the panel will shut off the shore power AC to the TV's.

Then if I turn on the inverter, power is restored to the TV outlets with the panel breaker still off.

I am starting to think Thor did not follow the recommended hardwiring procedure that is stated in the manual..... putting a breaker between the inverter output and the outlets.

I am thinking what Thor did was have shore power / generator power run to the power control panel and a breaker and from there to a junction box (I found a couple junction boxes behind the power control panel). They then ran power out of the inverter to the same junction box. From that junction box they ran wiring to each of the TV outlets. That would explain the behavior and why they didn't add a breaker out of the inverter as recommended by Xantrex.

Doing a rough drawing..... I think this is the way the 3A circuit for the TV's and fridge is really wired based on the circuit behavior under shore power and under the inverter. Thor should have placed a seperate breaker between the inverter and the junction box in my drawing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 6.04.34 AM.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	16840  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum