Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: 31L & Solar
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #7
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I finally got around to ordering a system.... just a 100W renogy kit with the older previous non lithium version of the wanderer controller..PWM
It just came in a few days ago and I haven't had a chance to install anything...still playing with ideas and options
I've almost decided to install a 2nd panel very soon... plug and play using their y-connector...depending on how the first panel works

Yes, I'd love to put the controller up front near the factory's light and control panel right by the door, and almost went with their adventurer flush mount controller for a neater install...more likely place would have been down low on the side of the lower cabinet with the light and awning switches. I still might do something in that area since the cable run to the battery would be significantly shorter, but routing from the roof is more problematic.

But I'm almost set on the idea of just eating a longer cable run, with the panel(s) up in front of the AC dropping the cable back into the bedroom closet through the black tank vent stack, then across through the under-floor raceway over to the bed where all the electrical stuff is...connecting to the battery at the battery side of the use/store relay.
Stupid long cable runs on both sides of the controller, but it seems a bit easier and neat.

I want the panels up front to get the weight off the overloaded rear axle (even though it aint much) and also to make for easier and safer access to everything else up there from the ladder...the rear area is already more crowded with things to trip over....oh, and there's more room up front so maybe less shadowing from stuff. Also, the nose of the RV is more likely going to be in the sun out further from trees in the back of the camp sites....

And I like the idea of dropping through the plumbing vent - so as to not add another potential leak point with drilling through...and to keep the cable out of the heat from the fridge chimney.

The other easy-ish alternative would be to drop the cables through a new hole and run through surface mounted conduit down the wall inside the MH. This would give shorter cables runs but would be uglier....

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.