Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #162
Travbob

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: British Columbia
THOR #11108
2016 Vegas 25.2 with about 26,000 kilometers (16,000 m). I pulled the steering damper off today to check it. It has a strange operation to it. At mid-point (as would be driving straight down the road it sometimes has reasonable resistance in both directions as expected. However if I work it back and forth a small amount it will sometimes develop considerable lost resistance in one direction. At other times it will lose resistance for considerable travel in both directions. At other times it will have resistance in one direction and feel like it is gas pressurized in the other in that it will push back if I let go. The push back will disappear in a 10-15 seconds if I hold it over. It only does this in compression and never when being extended.

I know the Ford damper is a safety device and only meant to restrain the steering in case of a tire blow out or hitting a large pot hole. Still I can't see how this one would work as intended and could even be upsetting vehicle stability. I have done a fair number of suspension upgrades and the units handles great in wind, trucks, and just driving but this damper can't be helping. Has anyone else had a damper fail this early? Or is this just the way they come from the factory? In any case I have a nice new Bilstein that will be going on in place of the factory unit.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum