Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 03:50 PM   #959
RDC54

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
RDC54, here is the thread I was talking about. Theres some great ideas and some not so great ideas. This was last June.

Adding a roof ladder to the side of our rig...
Thanks, mountainsam! I read through the thread, and found it entertaining and informative. Not sure I trust the structural integrity of the Compass enough to hang a ladder on the side...plus concerned that it would then exceed the legally allowable width of the vehicle.

So for now, I think I’m looking at a telescoping ladder...just not sure I got the right one. I purchased an Ohuhu brand (based on recommendations of a full time van dweller on YouTube), and it looked good on paper, but in reality seems too big and heavy. It is 12.5 ft, rated to 330 lb (twice what I would need), and is supposed to weigh 25 pounds, and measure 36X20X4.2 inches.

Just checked it, and it actually weighs 23 pounds (good!), but is 40.5 inches in length, which makes storage a bit of a problem. And (true confession), I have never actually used it! At home I use a regular extension ladder padded with pool noodles to pad it where it rests against the rig.

Has anyone come across a telescoping ladder which is shorter or lighter?

Also, is a 12.5 ft ladder long enough for a 10.5 foot tall RV? According to my (rusty) math calculations, it should be... (figuring the base should be 1 ft out from the surface it rests against for every 4 feet of height to that point), I should still have 1-1.5 ft of ladder above the roof line, which is what I need to feel comfortable getting off and on the ladder.

Greatly appreciate anyone who cares to double check my math or logic!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.