Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 06:20 PM   #5
Sweetbriar

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
I installed a 2000 watt Xantrex a few years back to support a residential fridge and a few outlets. The wire gauge and length between the battery bank and the inverter is critical. Can't over stress this.

My first installation attempt was, well let's just say less than adequate. Cables were too small and the length too long. The fridge start surge peaks at around 1500 watts @ 12VDC for few seconds and would cause a fault at the inverter due to a DC voltage drop. Ended up moving the inverter for as short as possible cable run and boosted cable size to 4/0.

Your second consideration is ventilation. The higher the power demand you have the hotter the unit is going to run. Bury it somewhere with limited airflow and it will probably shut down at some point. There may also came a time you'll need to reset the output AC breaker so easy access needs to be factored in.

Drilling thru the floor isn't a problem but you have to carefully plan where you are drilling regarding what you might hit once thru the floor. Hole size will depend on the DC cable size you intend to use. Two small holes are easier to seal than one big hole. Expanding foam works so will butyl tape.

Good luck and what do you plan to operate that needs 3000 watts@120VAC? My 2000 watts is overkill for a small residential fridge but I got a really good price for the inverter.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum