Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 06:46 PM   #15
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
So I solved one last mystery on how Thor hardwired the Xantrex inverter in the Outlaw 29H and got away with not adding a circuit breaker to the AC output of the inverter. I am going to guess they have done something similar with other coaches.

When you read the Xantrex documentation and they discuss installing the inverter for a hard wired installation, they recommend that you use the lugs for the AC Out in the inverter and then add a 15A circuit breaker if you have the 1000W or a 20A circuit breaker if you have the 1800W inverter.

What Thor did was remove the built-in GFCI outlet from the inverter and instead of using the AC Out lugs, they wired the TV circuit to the wiring that was connected to the GFCI outlet. Instead of the cost of adding a standard 15A circuit breaker for the 3 TV outlets as Xantrex recommend, they are relying on the built-in 15A breaker that supplied the inverter GFCI outlet they removed since they used those wires and not the AC Out lugs.

I'm going to think about whether to use Thor's wiring scheme as is or go with what Xantrex recommends when I move the fridge to the inverter circuit.

Home Depot has a small Square D 70A Load Center that will hold two circuit breakers. I can mount it right next to the inverter in the outside bin with a standard 15A breaker. I can then remove Thor's wiring from the inverter and connect it to the mini Load Center circuit breaker and then run new wires from the AC Out lugs in the inverter to the mini Load Center.

In any case.... if anyone loses the AC Output of the inverter, check the built-in breaker in the inverter as that could have tripped. There is not a separate circuit breaker as the Xantrex documentation would leave you to believe the way Thor did the wiring.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum