Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Replace step
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
mpulver

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: New York
THOR #8035
Thank you for the reply. I got the bolts out with a bit of work:

The studs had specially made carriage bolts with thin flat heads about 1 1/4" diameter. The heads of the bolts were laminated into the wooden step about 3/16" below the surface. (After removing the rubber tread glued to the board/step.) I measured to find the approximate location of the bolt heads from above. Then I took a 3" hole saw and cut down about 1/4" ant pried the laminate off the top of the bolt. Then I drilled a small hole off center near the edge of the head and put a small drywall screw through it then I removed the nuts from below.

I will now replace the bolts with 3/8-16 flat head machine screws with washers on the heads. Then I will use the wood disks I removed or floor leveler to fix the holes and reglue the rubber tread.

I do not recommend anyone do this unless the step structure itself is ruined. It would have been much easier to replace the electrical and mechanical Kwikee components!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum