Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: generator use
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 05:43 PM   #13
M&M_MURPHYS

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Quantum
State: California
THOR #9015
Running Gen Underway

I called THOR and asked about running the generator underway for the fridge and they recommended doing that as apposed to using propane to power the fridge..

I still use propane on the road and not the generator but now I now know I can run the generator while traveling if I elect to do that. I agree that using the generator underway uses more propane compared to running the fridge off propane with the generator off.

I had an issue with the fridge overheating on the road which is why I called THOR. Turns out, my issue was unplugging from shore power and the fridge not changing to propane as it should have in auto mode. Now, I always check to make sure it jumps over to propane when I unplug, Have not had any issues with warm fridge since then.

One more thing. The generator manual says to run the generator for at least two hours a month to keep it in good operating condition. I do run the generator underway just to make sure it gets frequent use and does not sit for long stretches unused. We often make trips that do not require the use of the generator so running it underway every month is good to maintain the generator (based on what I read in Cummings manual).

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum