Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2015, 01:51 PM   #9
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
wow, 1/4 cup per gallon.... that seems like a lot!

One source I found suggests 1 oz of Clorox® for every 8 gallons of water

It really just boils down to having enough hypo in the water to have "free chlorine".... which means it's free to kill the bad stuff....

A layman's way to tell if you have enough bleach is to use your nose..... put enough bleach in the water tank, so that when you run the faucets inside you can smell bleach. Let that sit in the system for the prescribed amount of time, and then rinse.

Laundry Clorox contains some soap (surfactants). It's not pure hypo, so you may see the soap bubbles.....

I thought I read on some forum once that some folks figure there's enough free chlorine in the city water coming out of the tap (assuming you fill with city water occasionally) that just by filling with the city water, they figure they are doing a bit of sanitizing. I reccon that this logic is somewhat sound, but not too long ago I was thinking about this....
So I used my swimming pool test kit to check how much free chlorine I had coming out of my house kitchen faucet (city water).
Then I did a bit of research and found the cdc guidelines
here's a link to a thread I posted about it
to sanitize, or just let the city water do it....

My read on the CDC guideline is that we should be treating the water everytime we fill the tank with water intended to be stored for more than a day or so, to ensure safe drinking water ....
Now that doesn't mean it's not safe if we don't.... but to ensure that we do

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum