Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 02:29 PM   #65
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I like the thought of having a smaller RV; one that can be easily used as a mode of transportation when traveling, one that doesn't burn as much fuel as most class As and Cs, and one that drives like a van. Most Americans arelarger than most Europeans (not to mention Asians) so those class B RVs just don't work for many of us. There is no way that I could function in any that I've seen, since I am 6'-4" in height.

The RV in the above photo looks quite strongly built and possibly is large enough to accommodate big people, but with what looks like four-wheel drive, and with those huge mud-sucking tires, I suspect that it rides like a tank, sounds like a tank, has to be fed like a tank, and probably isn't very stable at speeds of over 45 mph.

I don't have a problem with dual rear wheels because in addition to providing more carrying capacity in the rear, they also provide a wider stance and therefore more stability than most vehicles with only four wheels.
A small Class A that drives like a large van would be ideal for us, particularly if it got good fuel economy and could be taken into city traffic easily -- hence my interest in Axis. Germans, who I believe are as large as Americans for the most part, make many compact Class As that are somewhat similar in size. My wife and I aren't that large so we don't need as much elbow room inside a motorhome.

Back on topic: Many of these compact fuel-efficient motorhome offerings are based on 4 equal size wheel/tires which I personally think is best for many motorhomes of all sizes. Duallies are for trucks so that roughly 2/3 or more of weight is over driven wheels so that they can work in various terrain. Most motorhomes, like cars, stay on improved roads so having most weight over rear axle seems unnecessary.

US manufacturers could build motorhomes like this, even larger, with 4 wheels if they wanted. My guess is there isn't much of a market yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	815  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum