Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 02:41 PM   #25
hobbit

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Oklahoma
THOR #14681
A couple days late...

When we added a 30x40 ft shop building a year and a half ago we had the electrician install a 30 AMP outlet outside for our bumper-pull RV but we never used it.
We bought a Class C motorhome in April so now needed to get busy and get a pad built. Got that done two weeks ago and moved the bumper-pull to the pad and plugged into the 30 AMP box.
(some of you already know where this is going)
For some reason the 12 volt stuff was working but not the microwave, A/C, etc, I finally decided the convert must be shot (it's 14 years old) so ordered a new one which arrived on Friday. I carefully installed it that afternoon, even called a guy named Randy to be sure it was wired correctly, plugged it in and turned on the breakers one at a time until -- POOF! blew that large capacitor on the new converter.
I called the supplier (won't mention the company by name but to me they are the Best Converter company around.)
I talked to a guy named Randy again and after about three minutes he said something like "Well, there is something that happens more often than you'd think. Check to be sure your electrician wired it for 110 and NOT 220."
I checked it with my multi-meter -- that Randy guy is a genius!
My electrician will be back out this week to re-wire the outlet for 110.
Can't blame the electrician because it didn't dawn on me either that it should be 110, I just assumed a licensed electrician would know what to do when I told him to install "a 30 AMP outlet for an RV".

Anyway, $live$ and $$learn$$. We're totally new to self-contained motor homes, still a little wet behind the ears to RVing in general, and learning more every day.

This is a great forum and I have a LOT more to read.

_hobbit

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum