Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 08:18 PM   #61
Squerly

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
The front air conditioner stopped working a few weeks ago. Given the temps were mild, even cold at night, I hadn't given it the attention it deserved. But lately, it's been hot enough to move itself right on up to the top of the ol priority list.

Until a few hours ago, I knew nothing about these air conditioners. I don't know all that much about them now either, except that working on them doesn't appear to require the magical knowledge that I had originally thought would be necessary.

In my case, the fan had stopped running. I could hear noise coming from the unit, but when I turned the controls to "Fan" only, there was nothing. When I pulled off the plastic top I found an old hornets nest and evidence that they had moved into the wiring of the fan motor, eventually passing away and moving on to that big hornets nest in the sky.

After cleaning out the mud nest and spraying some electrical cleaner on the motor, I lubed the shaft with some WD-40 Lithium Grease and spun it around by hand until it was moving smoothly.

Then I climbed down and fired it up. And YES, it ran like a top. I left it running for the rest of the day and the coach is nice and cool. I went back up and cleaned all the areas that were accessible and tightened down the plastic top. At this point, I'm considering this to be a successful repair.

Turned out much simpler than I had originally thought. Money spent = $0.00! So there you go, should you experience a similar problem, take a look inside before you drive over to the RV repair shop. Might turn out to be as simple as mine was!
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum